Wire
02:11ZWFWITNESSMyanmar President Min Aung Hlaing departs for Russia on first visit since coup02:11ZPRESSTVErdoğan told Trump dialogue with Iran remains key to diplomacy02:10ZFARSNAIsraeli forces targeted al-Mansouri and Deirsarian areas in southern Lebanon02:07ZPRESSTVFuel tank explosion in Sulaymani, Iraq, lights up night sky02:05ZALALAMFAUS concerned about Iran-Oman negotiations progress, Wall Street Journal reports01:57ZALALAMARABLightning sparks fire at Oklahoma facility, threatening fuel supply01:56ZTASNIMNEWSIsraeli military shells northern Gaza camp, Gaza Wadi and Salah al-Din01:55ZJAHANTASNIIsraeli military strikes north of Al-Brij camp in Gaza
  • S&P 500 ETF 0.47%
  • Nasdaq 0.32%
  • Nasdaq 100 0.17%
  • Dow ETF 0.49%
Terminal ↗
← The MonexusSports

FIFA's COO is gone. Infantino's grip on the World Cup is the question now.

Three weeks after publicly calling the administration "deceived," FIFA's third-ranking official is out. The president is still standing, and the plan he rolled back is the one that put him there.

A curly-haired football player wearing a white jersey with the number 0 and a "Rouses Markets" sponsor patch stands on a practice field.
A curly-haired football player wearing a white jersey with the number 0 and a "Rouses Markets" sponsor patch stands on a practice field. @CBS SPORTS HEADLINES · Telegram

Kevin Lamour did not go quietly, and FIFA did not pretend otherwise. Reuters confirmed on 17 August 2026 that the world body's third-ranking official had departed, three weeks after publicly accusing the administration of being "deceived" by president Gianni Infantino's collapsed plan to sell equity-style stakes in the World Cup itself. By Monday evening the Guardian, BBC Sport, ESPN and France 24 had all carried versions of the same short statement: a senior official, gone, after a public row with the man on top.

The story is not that a chief operating officer lost his job in a sports federation. Federations do that all the time. The story is what this particular departure tells us about who actually runs FIFA, and on whose terms a tournament built on the slogan "For The Game" can be quietly carved up and sold.

What Lamour actually said, and what FIFA did next

The proximate cause was a plan Infantino publicly floated, then publicly walked back under pressure: a proposal to monetise future World Cup editions by selling stakes in the competition's commercial rights. Lamour, speaking internally and then on the record, told colleagues the FIFA administration had been "deceived" about how the scheme was structured and who stood to benefit, according to reporting carried by the Guardian on 17 August.

By the same evening, BBC Sport was blunt: "Senior Fifa figure Kevin Lamour is sacked." France 24's English service reported the exit in terms that left little daylight between "leaves" and "sacked." The distinction matters. Departures after open criticism of a sitting president do not usually come with a severance package framed as voluntary.

Why a World Cup sale plan mattered at all

A World Cup is not a normal sports property. It is the only truly global television event the calendar reliably produces, the one rights-holders from Globo to beIN to the BBC will pay premium cash to keep. When a federation proposes selling stakes in that commercial engine, the question is not whether the deal would be legal under Swiss association law. It is who gets the upside, and on what governance terms. Infantino's rollback, when it came, did not answer those questions so much as postpone them. ESPN's 16 August explainer laid out the mechanics: a controversial plan, rolled back under opposition, with Infantino's own position "uncertain." Lamour's exit a day later has done nothing to clarify who, inside FIFA, now holds the line on the original idea.

The sponsorship backdrop is not incidental. Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund and related Gulf capital have spent two years becoming impossible to ignore in the global football calendar: a 2034 World Cup host, expanded Club World Cup funding, and a steady presence in boardrooms the federation used to treat as off-limits. ESPN's analysis tied the equity-stakes proposal to those money flows; Infantino himself has framed the wider commercial push as necessary to compete with private-equity-backed club tournaments.

What the leadership lane looks like now

Infantino's instinct, when cornered, has consistently been to absorb the hit and move the calendar. The expanded 32-team Club World Cup went ahead in 2025 despite a coordinated European federation pushback. The 48-team 2026 men's World Cup opens in North America next year. The Saudi-aligned 2034 hosting decision stands. None of those decisions was reversed when Lamour spoke up; only the equity plan was paused, and even that pause was framed as a refinement, not a retraction.

That is the lane. The departure of a chief operating officer is a signal to the rest of the building, not a verdict on the president. Lamour knew, the Guardian reported, that criticising Infantino publicly could cost him his job. It did. The next official weighing a similar warning will now do that calculation with a worked example in front of them.

Stakes, and what to watch

What is genuinely uncertain, even after a coordinated Monday news cycle, is whether any of this weakens Infantino's hold on the presidency. He has been there before, survived before, and the next FIFA Congress is far enough away that internal discipline usually does his work for him. The interesting question is structural: whether the equity-in-the-World-Cup idea resurfaces in a softer form, packaged as a "fan ownership" scheme or a regional development fund, once the news cycle moves on. The Plan B in these federations is rarely a Plan B; it is the original plan wearing a better jacket.

Two markers worth watching. First, the formal replacement for Lamour: a corporate operator signals continuity, an internal reformer signals a reset. Second, any movement on the original sale proposal at the FIFA Council's next sitting. The plan is paused, not buried. The president is wounded, not gone. And the man who said so out loud is no longer in the building to be asked about it.


Desk note: The wire framed this primarily as a personnel story. Monexus reads it as a governance story with a personnel cost, and treats the Gulf-capital sponsorship backdrop as part of the structural frame rather than colour.

Wire provenance

This editorial synthesis draws on the following public wire/social posts:

  • https://www.theguardian.com/football/2026/aug/17/fifa-chief-sacked-criticism-infantino-world-cup-sell-off-plan-kevin-lamour
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cn7n4d6vy03o?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=rss
  • https://www.france24.com/en/sport/20260817-fifa-chief-operating-officer-leaves-after-criticising-infantino-investor-plan
  • https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/49642660/fifa-executive-kevin-lamour-departs-amid-backlash-infantino-world-cup-sale-plan
  • https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/49601593/fifa-gianni-infantino-presidency-world-cup-explainer-saudi-arabia-analysis-marcotti
  • https://reut.rs/4xM5XDR
© 2026 Monexus Media · AI-native reporting from public-source material