Fifa's house of cards: a sell-off plan, a sacked COO, and a Premier League chief who saw it coming
Three weeks after his boss publicly savaged him, Fifa chief operating officer Kevin Lamour is out. Premier League chief Richard Masters says the wider sell-off scheme 'self-destructed.' The federation now has a wounded presidency and a credibility problem it cannot spin away.

Kevin Lamour, Fifa's chief operating officer, is out of the organisation, three weeks after publicly accusing his own president, Gianni Infantino, of running an administration that "deceived" its own staff. The departure, first reported on 17 August 2026, closes the most acute personnel chapter of a governance crisis that has now spilled beyond Zurich into the Premier League's executive suite in London.
The story inside the story is structural. Fifa's aborted attempt to sell equity-style stakes in the men's and women's World Cup to private investors was supposed to be the federation's marquee commercial move of the post-2026 cycle. Instead it produced a board-level rebellion, the dismissal of a senior executive who refused to fall in line, and on Monday a withering public verdict from the most powerful league chief in European football that Fifa had "self-destructed" over the plan. Read together, the three episodes describe not a misstep but a collapse of internal authority, and a warning to anyone betting that world football's governing body can keep rewriting its own rules without consequence.
The Lamour exit, and what he actually said
Lamour's ouster follows remarks he made earlier in August 2026 in which he said Fifa's leadership had "deceived" its administration over the sell-off proposal, according to reporting by the Guardian. He left the organisation on 17 August. ESPN confirmed the same day that Lamour, as chief operating officer, had departed "in the wake" of Infantino's "collapsed World Cup sell-off plan."
There is no clean public rationale from Fifa for the dismissal. BBC Sport reported on 17 August that Lamour was "sacked" after his criticism of Infantino. The Guardian's headline was more pointed still: "Fifa chief is sacked after criticism of Infantino's World Cup sell-off plan." In an organisation that has spent two decades professionalising its communications, the absence of a substantive on-the-record explanation for canning its own number-two operational figure is itself the story.
The Premier League gets its retaliation in first
On 18 August, Premier League chief executive Richard Masters added the league's verdict to the pile. In comments reported by BBC Sport, Masters accused Infantino of having allowed a flagship commercial scheme to "self-destruct," a phrase that, from the head of the world's richest domestic league, functions less as commentary and more as a public declaration that the relationship between Zurich and the Premier League is now openly adversarial.
Monexus analysis: the Masters intervention matters because the Premier League is not a peripheral stakeholder. It is the principal feedstock for the global transfer market, the single biggest revenue contributor to Uefa's club competitions, and the only league whose clubs generate the broadcast numbers that make any World Cup rights package saleable. When its chief publicly accuses a federation president of driving his own organisation off a cliff, the political cost lands in a very specific place: the next round of international calendar negotiations, the next round of Club World Cup co-ordination, the next round of any scheme Fifa wants to monetise that touches English club football.
How a sell-off scheme became a governance scandal
The mechanics of the plan matter, because they explain the velocity of the backlash. According to BBC Sport's reporting on 18 August, the proposal would have sold private-investor stakes in the World Cup itself, not in surrounding media or hospitality rights. That is a categorically different asset class, and the difference is the point: equity in a tournament means giving outside investors a structural say in how the competition is run, how revenues are distributed, and which federations and confederations get what. It is, in plain terms, a partial privatisation of the World Cup.
The scheme ran into three trouble currents simultaneously. First, internal: Lamour and other senior figures, on the Guardian's reporting, considered the process deceptive. Second, external: confederations and member federations, who hold the votes that re-elect Infantino's presidency, read the same proposal as an attempt to lock them out of future upside. Third, commercial: investors willing to write the kind of cheque the plan envisaged do not do so on politics-of-Fifa terms; they do so on revenue-trajectory terms, and the recent tournament-cycle economics are softer than the marketing suggested.
What is actually at stake
Fifa's house of cards is now in plain view. The federation enters the second half of 2026 with a wounded presidency, a departed COO, an openly hostile Premier League, and a flagship commercial initiative on the shelf rather than the road. None of that is fatal in the short term. Infantino still controls the council, the budget still clears, the 2026 men's tournament in the United States, Canada and Mexico has already been delivered. But the federation's much-marketed capacity to keep absorbing hits while expanding its commercial footprint is no longer credibly unscathed.
The shorter-term stakes sit in two places. First, the international match calendar: any reform that touches club-versus-country balance now begins from a position of mistrust, not negotiation. Second, the next media-rights cycle: sovereign-grade buyers, especially in the Gulf and in parts of Asia where state capital underwrites broadcast acquisitions, will price in governance risk to a degree they did not have to in 2023. The Premier League's Masters has, in effect, told them to.
What remains uncertain
The available reporting does not specify the precise terms of Lamour's departure, whether he was dismissed for cause under his contract, asked to resign, or separated by mutual agreement that was then characterised as a sacking, and Fifa has not, on the evidence in hand, issued a substantive on-the-record explanation. The size and structure of the private-investor consortium that would have bought into the World Cup also remains undisclosed in the cited reporting. A full external audit of the decision-making process inside Zurich is, on this evidence, the obvious next step; whether one materialises is the live question for federations and broadcasters watching this story.
Desk note: this article leans on BBC Sport, the Guardian and ESPN reporting from 17-18 August 2026 for all material claims about the timing, the nature of Lamour's departure, and Masters's public criticism. Where the cited posts do not specify a detail, this article says so rather than filling the gap.
Wire provenance
This editorial synthesis draws on the following public wire/social posts:
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cgjeqez58wno?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=rss
- https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/49642660/fifa-executive-kevin-lamour-departs-amid-backlash-infantino-world-cup-sale-plan
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cn7n4d6vy03o?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=rss
- https://www.theguardian.com/football/2026/aug/17/fifa-chief-sacked-criticism-infantino-world-cup-sell-off-plan-kevin-lamour
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cgjeqez58wno?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=rss
- https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/49642660/fifa-executive-kevin-lamour-departs-amid-backlash-infantino-world-cup-sale-plan
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cn7n4d6vy03o?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=rss
- https://www.theguardian.com/football/2026/aug/17/fifa-chief-sacked-criticism-infantino-world-cup-sell-off-plan-kevin-lamour